Monday 23 April 2012

Sound Design Unit: Introduction


Our first week back from Easter saw the introduction to our new unit - Sound Design! 

We have received our unit brief, which is to use and design sounds with still images to tell a story of a journey. I have decided that my journey will be through the eyes of a dog! The story will roughly show how a dog feels when a new dog is introduced to the family home. Exploring different emotions as the new dog receives the family’s attention and the old one feels pushed out. I am still working on perfecting the story line but feel confident after sharing my idea with the rest of the group!

We were also given a practical workshop on how to use the various microphones we have available to us at the studios! It was a fun session that allowed us to jump in and get a feel for the equipment. We got a good idea of which microphone is best to use in certain situations, and how well they recorded in terms of quality at different distances etc. 

I’m looking forward to this unit because there is no limit to what sounds can be used to tell the story! The same kind of idea in terms of the journey could be portrayed completely differently when different sounds and atmospheres are applied, meaning we can be extremely creative! I’m also excited to record my own sounds, especially creating some Foley sounds! I want to explore sounds I wouldn't normally be able to use in a conventional piece and really create a good soundscape to tell my story! Even more so because sound is something I haven't really took much of an interest in before I understood what it involved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment